Other parishes within the group and
links to their websites:
The ancient parish church of
Frome is Frome St John the Baptist, founded in 685AD by St
Aldhelm and this page is part of the parish website at
The first new church to be
built was that at East Woodlands now dedicated to St Katharine.
The church was completed in 1714, consecrated in 1811 and became
a separate parish after 1872. About that time it was restored by
the architect John Loughborough Pearson. Older records often
refer to this church as the 'New Church'.
The parish church of Christ
Church was built in 1818. At the time of its consecration it
referred to as the 'New Free Church' not because of being a 'Free
Church' in the sense of non-conformist, but because the seats
were free of rent.
The church of Holy
Trinity is unusual in that it faces the opposite way to the
usual orientation of parish churches: the main entrance is at the
East end on Trinity Street. It was built in 1838.
The church of St
Mary the Virgin built in 1864 is the only parish church on
the north side of the river in Frome.
The division of the ancient
parish into four parishes in 1862 defined the boundaries for
Woodlands, Christ Church and Holy Trinity. The division of St
Mary's parish from that of St John the Baptist followed later.
Detailed background to the group can be found here.